Monday, April 14, 2014

Thank You

This blog was created 2 months ago in a foggy, pain killer induced state of mind.  A filleted Achilles tendon stifled any activity from my body while dope rendered my brain useless as I floated around in puffy white clouds, sparkled with fairy dust, talking to polka-dotted elephants. I had no purpose in life while rotting away in bed. I don't Facebook, Google +, tweet, instagram and had never read a blog. A person can only do nothing for so long. So, while incapacitated, I read a friend's blog and liked it.  And while drifting around in glittery clouds, I told myself to create a blog and promised myself to create a daily post until I returned to work.

Great writers write because they have something to say, others write because they want to say something.  I'm uncertain where I fit...some of the posts fall towards the former while many fall into the latter. I enjoyed putting together the short stories...and, like any population, some turned out alright, some bad and most were merely average.  But that's okay, the biggest thing this blog provided was a weird sense of accomplishment. Creating each short story and posting it gave me the sense of actually doing something for the day. Looking back, there are many stories that I wish I had spent more time crafting the "wordsmithery" to make them better, but, regardless, they served the purpose.

I'm back to work and fulfilled my commitment to myself of posting on a daily basis.  Now, I am more careful what I will commit to myself with the reality being blogs will be posted on a random basis.

But, the biggest surprise this blog delivered was readers!

I never thought my stringing together a bunch of words would be read by more than myself, obligated family and a few good friends.  A statistical page is automatically generated where I am truly amazed it has been viewed 1956 times at the time of this post.  Most readers are from the United States, but several readers from France, Germany and Belgium have also visited.  Australia, China, India, Poland, Russia, Spain, United Kingdom, and Venezuela are also included in the list of readers.

To everyone who visited, I extend a heartfelt THANK YOU.  I am stunned, very honored and incredibly humbled.

My topics have been an odd variety...trail running, ranching, wonderful dogs, nature, an incredible horse, unusual people and places. And, I must not forget, I have The Moustache that incessantly bangs around inside his cage, eager to be set free.  I have kept him on a tight leash and have carefully allowed him to vent, but only just a little bit.  He is very diabolical and begs to unleash pages of ripping words to address the stupid nonsense that life presents.  But, I know better.  Most people and/or organizations can't handle the truth, so I've only allowed The Moustache to vent on lesser, trivial topics.  However, The Moustache is like a sleeping dragon just simmering to be awakened.

But, on a more serious note, I truly say thanks to everyone who ran their eyes over my words.  Based solely on the number of views, I submitted my top read posts to a short, short story competition and am curious to see how they fare.

Lastly, I understand most bloggers get a hurt butt if no one comments on their blogs...I'm grateful no one left comments on any of my posts.  I am not seeking affirmation for my writing and am not sure of proper blog etiquette if anyone had left a comment. I strictly created the blog to occupy idle time which created a sense of purpose and I hope my writing managed to raise an eyebrow or crack a smile from time to time.

I do have a one heartfelt story that burns deeply within my soul and hope to introduce that topic at some point later this year. Sharing that story will generate immense satisfaction.

We shall see.

Once again, thank you.  It's been fun.

1 comment:

  1. You are a talented writer with a keen eye for life's subtle details. I am privileged to read your stories and to have shared in some of them. Keep writing - you're very good.

    ReplyDelete