Saturday, April 12, 2014

Good Fortune

The antique stock truck, hauling a red bull in the back, sputtered, coughed and jerked to a stop on the side of the road.  The gas gauge incorrectly showed a quarter tank, but I recognized the symptoms and knew I had just run out of gas...with a bull...and a dog...out on the Escalante desert...with no gas can...with about 15 miles to town.

Ah shit!

Fortunately, it was a pleasant early evening in June as I hopped out and began walking down the highway with my dog, Badger, beside me.  I held out my left thumb and maintained a quick pace.  I never understood hitchhikers who sit on their ass with their thumb out...at least if I'm walking and no one offers me a ride I'll still eventaully get to where I'm going. I was very dubious of getting a ride. Who would pick me up, especially with a dog, way out here in the desert?

Remarkably, within a mile, an old Firebird pulled over and stopped in the shoulder ahead of me.  I approached where the driver told me to hop in. The front seat passenger had to get out to tilt the seat forward to allow Badger and me in the back seat. The driver explained how they were simply out going for a drive and had noticed the broken down stock truck and assumed I needed help, so they stopped.  I explained running out of gas and he offered a ride to the closest gas station. 

The sun set and small town America's lights flickered in the distance where he dropped us off at the first gas station. My next quandry was how to get gas back to the truck since I had no gas can.  I entered the garage, pleaded my situation and was graciously offered a gas can where I pumped in a few gallons. I didn't want to fill the 5 gallon can and make too heavy of a burden to carry in case I didn't get a return ride out into the desert.

Now, while heading out of town with a dog AND a smelly gas can, I had virtually no hope of hitching a ride.  I kept my thumb out as Badger and I walked down the shoulder of the road.  He was a good dog and stayed near while cars whistled past us.  Lo and behold, not far out of town, a car pulled over and offered us a ride.  I crawled in the back seat with Badger and the stinky gas can emitting nasty fumes and the driver didn't balk.  He asked how far out in the desert was the stock truck and I provided my best guess.

After awhile, the driver began to get impatient and continually asked how much farther.  My standard answer of "Just around the next bend" became too repetitive, but I had no other choice of words and was honestly unfamilair with the country.  Finally, the headlights lit up the old red truck and he pulled over.  I crawled out, jumped Badger in the cab and dumped the contents of the gas can in the truck.  The driver hollered that he would wait until the truck started before leaving in case I needed a jump start.  The ol' truck fired up and we were headed back into town.

Later, at the gas station with a thirsty bull banging on the sideboards, I filled the truck in preparation to drive all the way to the ranch. The borrowed gas can was returned as I paid the bill and then rattled down the highway.

Thank goodness for good people doing good deeds to create good fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment