Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Duh

A new weight machine in the corner is calling out to me. I plop down on it to crank off a set of high repetitions and, the stack of weights does not even jiggle in my attempt to lift it. I slyly look around the gym to see who was the meathead that last used the machine and only catch glimpses of elderly folks shuffling around.  Hmmmm.....

The stack of weights experience an immediate weight loss of 30 pounds as I pull the pin and insert it at the lighter weight. 

Umph! The stack remains motionless after another try.

I review my positioning. Seatbelt tight? Check. Feet firmly secured? Check.  Back straight while in the seated position and chest snug against the bar? Check.  So, what's the problem?  Just crunch forward.  I visualize taking my collarbone to my knees while rotating at the waist, and again, the weights do not budge.


What I thought I was sitting on...
Worried that I'm being watched, I tilt my head down and shoot glimpses out of the corners of my eyes, seeking who in the world had such powerful abs? I don't see any Arnold Schwarzeneggers strutting around and am perplexed, but, I suppose some older person might have abs of steel hidden under their t-shirt that's silk-screend with political agenda.

I nonchalantly lean over and give the weight stack another substantial weight loss and hit the bar hard, hoping momentum and inertia will be my key to victory.

Nothing!

Okay, this is getting stupid.  I pull the pin so the stack is reduced to one tiny, thin iron plate where I then lean into the bar expecting to see the plate slam up like the dinger hitting the bell after being sledgehammered at a carnival game.  It doesn't move! In fact the belt that connects to the weights does not even tighten up.  I take that as a clue and investigate further.

The square tubing my chest is pressed against actually has a pad on the opposite side of the bar from where I'm sitting.  I take that as another clue.  Then, I notice there are stops permantently welded to prevent the bar from traveling in the direction in which I'm trying to crunch.  Another clue.

Noticing a sticker, I now take the time to look at it where there is an illustration on how to use the machine. A stick figure is seated like I'm sitting, but the padded bar is across it's shoulder blades!  Apply some force rearward and the lower back is exercised by raising the weights.

What I was actually sitting on...


In addition to the illustration, I now clearly read "Back Extension." 

I found the meathead I was seeking, he was in the mirror hanging on the wall.






No comments:

Post a Comment