Monday, June 29, 2015

Moustache Unplugged #30

....hehehe, he changed the password, but I hacked back... and undetected I will take the opportunity to work on a letter....


Dear Self-Important Mountain Biker,

You were decked out in full crash gear to include a helmet with a wrap around face guard, shin protectors, knee pads, and thick gloves. Apparently, your high speed goggles were either too tinted or fogged up to notice the rules of the trail since you were to yield to me as I trotted up the single track trail and we collided...

Mother Nature blessed us with a late spring storm that dropped a heavy layer of cement-snow.  At the trail head, it was only a few inches of slop, but quickly deepened while gaining altitude. 

Slush splatted with each footfall and, like most things in life, it is what you make it. Rather than cussing the conditions, I embraced it. The slop slowed my pace, but that was alright since it was creating a different type of training by causing newfound muscles being burdened with the high stepping gait.  I found a gear that I could sustain and kept steadily trudging up the trail.

Up ahead, I caught a glimpse of you heading down. Because of the overnight dump of snow, the single track trail was even more narrow with a thin ribbon of tracks created by previous travelers. This slot of a trail was technically mine since rules dictate you are the one to stop and allow passage.

Frequently, I motion to approaching bikers to continue as I step aside for them.  They always toss out a thank you and despite my offer, many still stop for me and I ALWAYS greet them with a thank you.

But, then there's the ones like you. The arrogant ones who disregard all trail users and feel everybody else are in your way, invading your world. 

Well, I accepted your challenge.

As you played bully and tried to force me out of the narrow channel carved into the snow, I kept my ground and you brushed against me. Yes, I readily admit popping my shoulder into you, but purposefully held back so I didn't ass-end you down the embankment and into the creek. But, I did make sure to knock you off balance enough to force you to unclip from your pedals.  I spun and stated,"C'mon!" as your helmet rotated in my direction.

Did you say something to me?  I don't know, and don't care. I was enjoying "Heavy is the Head" by the Zac Brown Band with Chris Cornell that recently performed on Saturday Night Live (I highly recommend watching the song on YouTube--it's a performance where band members are thoroughly enjoying an epic jam session with the vocalists showcasing their power and range).

You turned and clipped back in your pedals and I continued on my journey.  Your arrogance didn't spoil my outing as I won't let it, but you need to honor the code of the trail.

Let me remind you of the posted rules of the trail.


It's a very easy flow chart to follow. And, it doesn't change with the passing of the seasons. 

Wet spring conditions has the trail engulfed in vegetation.  In many areas, the walls of the trail are  closing into a narrow hallway.  Once again, this creates the condition of opposing trail users playing a dicey head-on game of chicken. Only yesterday, I had my chin tucked grinding up a steep section and heard something close...really close.  I raised my eyes to see another mountain biker skidding sideways, and getting closer as his eyes bulged.  Fortunately for both of us, we did not collide and I lowered my fist and continued on, grinding my teeth.

Do Better!

The Moustache

No comments:

Post a Comment