Monday, May 18, 2015

Leon

With longing eyes, glancing up as I passed, they suggested, "Can I go down with you?" His tongue dangled out of a gray flecked muzzle as he mechanically trotted uphill behind his caretakers. Ever since that first encounter, I have admired the same aging dog at varying spots throughout the trail system always moving forward, dedicated to keeping his caretakers in sight.

"How old is he?" I finally stopped one day and asked the young athletic couple who effortlessly scamper all over the mountain.

"Leon?  He'll be 15 in October and he loves this," was the answer as water trickled from a hydration bottle and into a collapsible rubber bowl.  Leon, never appearing to be in a hurry, methodically lapped his tongue into the bowl to quench his thirst. But, this wasn't just regular tap water. Leon and his "dad" have an acquired taste for filtered water, anything else is refused and viewed only suitable for swirling down a toilet bowl. As Leon stepped away, I noticed his left hind leg acted stiff like he had a peg leg. I learned he was hit by a car as a puppy, but he hasn't allowed injury to interfere in his life.

I love his attitude...no excuses!

Leon sat, keeping a watchful eye on his caretakers, and I reached out to scratch his head.  Upon my touch, he slowly turned his head and he peered up at me, panting, indifferent with the affection. My presence didn't matter in his world, and I don't blame him, but we both enjoyed the rest as I chattered with his caretakers. (Although mentioned in previous blog entries, I will reiterate how I struggle to use the word "owners" for pets. We humans provide care, but how do we "own" an animal spirit?)

Whether trudging up the mountain, or stiffly trotting down the back side, Leon appears to have the same gear with his controlled gait. He maintains steadfast focus on his leaders and although off leash, he ignores fellow dog encounters as he steadily paces behind his caretakers, quietly minding his own business.

For any dog, reaching such a ripe old age is quite an accomplishment.  For Leon being a Chocolate Lab, he is inspiring.  Using the 7 to 1 ratio, he's approaching 105 and looks great with little graying!

Keep plodding along Leon. Your caretakers rock and I quietly look forward to seeing you every time I start my run and secretly wish I had such a running partner.



May you have many years of continued adventures on the mistress. I happily share her with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment