Monday, November 23, 2015

Best Buy

What was that? Something had caught my eye out in the middle of nowhere from a poorly maintained, dusty county road. Was it a reflection from within the sagebrush choked landscape? An unnatural shape boldly standing out?  Bright colors contrasting so vividly that it brought attention to itself even through my poor color vision?  I eased over to a wide spot in the road to turn around.


With eyes straining down into the shoulder of the road, I eased along.  Seeing nothing, and convinced that my eyes had played a trick on my mind, I prepared to turn around and proceed on my journey.  But, just when I assumed I had retraced my steps too far, there it was.

"It" turned out to be a small collection. Some ass-wipe actually took the time, and effort, to drive out of town, away from dumpsters or the landfill, to toss two television sets and a computer monitor out into the environment. 

What kind of selfish shit-stain does that?

The equipment was haphazardly laying amongst the sagebrush, obviously discarded with big heaves from the road.  I dropped off the road and, one at a time, wrestled them into the back of my truck and hauled them out.

If the litterbug's household trash service refused to take them, then, minimally, sneak into an alley and toss them in a dumpster.  Then, at least they end up in a toxic landfill along with the rest of the garbage.

Better yet, recycle!  True, most recycling centers will not accept TV's and monitors, but guess what?  Best Buy accepts them for recycling.

I hauled the junk around and eventually went to Best Buy and loaded them onto a shopping cart.



With the trio nestled onto the cart, I wheeled them inside where the greeter looked quizzically at me and then inspected the junk.  The plastic housings surrounding the glass screens and inner guts of the equipment were fractured and he initially refused to accept them.  He explained the damaged condition was simply too dangerous for his employees. Surprsingly, although not plugged in, I learned the danger was from some stored up monstor charge within the equipment that could zap the handler. 

Whatever...

I told him I had grabbed and wrestled them around and survived, and was prepared to touch my tongue on the exposed electronics to demonstrate they were safe to take from me.  Prior to licking the electronic popsicles, I explained the circumstance of finding them and hauling the junk over 125 miles out of the mountains.

He arched his eyebrows and took a new stance.

"Park the cart over there...we'll take them."

Thank you Best Buy!

No comments:

Post a Comment