Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Good Friends

Flipping the light switch on, the lone bulb comes to life as I quietly gaze at the collection. Neatly paired together, they rest on the rack while others are haphazardly strewn across on the floor. The pairs remain motionless while I study the cluster below.  I am determined. I am focused.  My eyes move from one, to another, to another.

Finally, I find one and gently pick it up while continuing to search for its mate. "Aha! There you are!" I state while scooping up another and cradle the duo in my arms.  Giddy with my find, I leave the room and venture outside into the early morning darkness,

My slightly broken in, super comfy, highly customized, aging Salomon XT Wings were brought out from their long hibernation to be worn for my first true test after Achilles surgery, the 4th annual Colorado Tough Mudder hosted for the first time in Snowmass on their ski mountain.

It was 2 a.m. as I roared up I-70 with, no surprise, minimal amounts of gear.  My drop bag had a change of clothes for afterwards while I was wearing the shorts and shirt for the event. Flip-flops were on the floorboard as I drove barefoot while my prized possession XT Wings rode shotgun. They have endured much and have stories to tell, only to be surpassed by their thoroughly trashed twins that were left in a dumpster in Englishtown, NJ after the 2012 World's Toughest Mudder. Newer models of the XT Wings argue with my feet and I can no longer find any of the old models collecting dust in warehouses. Many other trail running shoes have been tested, but all fail miserably in comparison.

With nearly a full moon on a cloudless night, I sped up the interstate. I had the highway to myself and only worried about bored State Troopers running radar for speeding tickets or wildlife making a suicidal dash across the roadway.  Reflectors brightly glistened in my headlights as I noticed a distant, faint pair of reflectors further off in the shoulder.  As I got closer, pale moonlight slowly developed a ghostly shape. Flying farther up the interstate, the colored vapor transformed into an elk.  "Stay right there," I said out loud as I whooshed past and glanced over.  It was a big bull with moonlight highlighting his hulking antlers as I pushed hard on the gas pedal.

Like a rocket ship on rails, I arrived 2 hours early and curled up for a miserable nap under a blanket in the super-uncomfortable driver's seat.  Morning sunlight had me moving again as I parked to take the shuttle bus. 

It was cool and I new mud and water obstacles were waiting, so I slipped into Smartwool socks and slid my feet into the XT Wings. 

Ooo-la-la!

My toes giggled with comfort while my heels smiled from being gently cupped with coziness.  My good friends, albeit had been awhile, knew how to make things feel right!

Earlier waves of participants were on the course and my wave started.  I wanted to avoid the bottle-necked traffic jams on initial obstacles, so I pushed hard in the beginning.  Leigh and Riley introduced themselves as we ran together and we were only behind a freak that shot out in front and was never seen again. We pushed each other and became a make-shift team who stayed side-by-side for the entire course.  Zuri, a heavy-muscled stud passed us, and to the best of our counting, we finished our wave 3rd, 4th and 5th.

It was the usual Mudder.  Tough but fun.  Leigh and Riley provided great company, but the XT Wings remained my best friends, loyally hanging with me and embracing another event.

Afterwards, while hosing off, I was deeply saddened to notice my left shoe had a gaping hole in the upper mesh.  I washed them clean and cannot throw them out...maybe duct tape will see them through one more Mudder next year as I set them back on the shelf.

Like true good friends, even though an eternity of time will pass between visits, they never let you down and the brief time spent together is treasured.

(On a side note, Mr. Achilles was irritable and angry as my under-trained thighs whimpered and whined for days...)

No comments:

Post a Comment